Monday, January 16, 2017

Partial Die Cut Interlocking Valentine's Card

Digital Mirror Image

I challenged myself to create an interlocking card without the use of a special die that creates this specific mechanism for a card. I am using a Lawn Fawn Stitched Heart die. I measured the heart at its widest. I used a 12" x 6" card stock. The card turned out to be a bit larger than an A2 card. The card measures  4.5" x 5".

I partially die cut half of the heart to each edge of the card stock. To line up the heart, I used a scrap heart die cut as a guide for the metal die. I lined this heart die cut to the back of the partially die cut heart with a washi tape facing the uncut end of the cardstock. I gently removed this die cut after I positioned the metal die on top of it. I ran this through the Big Shot also using partial die cut technique. I trimmed off the cardstock hanging on both ends of the heart with a craft knife. I cut the each half heart partially, one from the top, and the other on the bottom to create the interlocking mechanism. I scored the card with the hearts interlocked.

To embellish the card, I cut a pink card stock to fit the gateway panel of the card. Using a piece of tape at the back of this card stock, I randomly stamped a sentiment to create a background. Taping it together created a continuous piece even if these are two pieces. I am using an old Paper Studio stamp set, and Simon Says Stamp Doll Pink dye ink to create a tone on tone look. I spritz this with some shimmer spray made of Pearl Perfect Pearl diluted in water.

To embellish the heart, I cut an American Crafts patterned paper using the same die cut, then cut it in half. I adhered the card stock and heart to the interlocking card base. Make sure you use a thick card stock for the card base. The mechanism is so fragile that it can get ripped off if you keep playing with it. (Ask me how I know? =)) I cut the excess from the heart and the gatefold edges.


For the star of this card, I printed the birds on Neenah card stock. I flipped one bird to create a mirror image. I colored the birds with Prisma color pencils. I applied clear Spectrum Noir to the birds I fuzzy cut the image. I adhered a bird to half of a heart. I applied Ranger Glossy Accents to the eyes.

This card is pretty much done except that it is missing a sentiment. So with my 10 year old son's input, I stamped a sentiment at the bottom of the heart. I applied a washi tape at the back of the front panel to keep the gatefold closed. I heat embossed a sentiment from Hero Arts Floral Heart stamp and die set. And as last detail, I stamped a small heart to fill in the spaces using Delicata White Shimmer pigment ink.



Thanks for visiting my blog. I hope you join us in today's Incy Wincy Challenge Men In Your Life Challenge. Have a blessed & brilliant day!

Maria Giselle B.



I am sharing this creation with




4 comments:

  1. Nice with this kind of card.
    Thanks for playing with us at Inspiration Destination Good luck!! Michelle(DT)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog! It's so cool that both of use used the same die and technique! Great minds think alike hee hee! I love that you stamped and heat embossed the sentiment directly on the card :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog and for your comment. I really appreciate it.-Maria Giselle

      Delete