Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Partial and Extended Embossing


I always forget to request an off for World Card Making Day. The thing is, I work every weekend, Friday to Sunday, night shifts. I will plot this on my calendar so I will remember to be off next year. I want to be off so I can join in those one day challenges. I think it is fun.

Winnie & Walter held a Craftie Challenge that day which is still open for a few more days. I only own a stamp set of their brand. The challenges are not limited to using W&W products only, as long as it is a new creation.

I started off by stamping the 'thanks' sentiment from the W&W The Big, Bold and You stamp sets. I stamped the word at the center of a Strathmore Bristol paper. I pre-treated the area with anti-static powder first. I used the Hero Arts Ombre Tide Pool to Navy ink. I did the chacha motion to apply the ink from left to center, since the word sentiment is longer than the ombre dye pad. I flipped the ink to continue the pattern of the ink. I am also using a Misti Stamping tool to stamp the sentiment to the paper. The Misti Tool allowed me precise re-stamping in case the first impression didn't work out well, re-stamping for a crisper stamped sentiment, and also to apply Versamark ink on top of the dye ink stamped impression. I used Wow! Clear Ultra High embossing powder. This has larger granules compared to other embossing powders. To melt the granules, I heat the powder from the back so as not to blow it away if I directly heat on it. Once I saw the granules melting, I heat the front side.


I did a wash of colors over the sentiment to create a stripe pattern of the colors included in the Colour Combo challenge. I allowed this to air dry and embossed the sentiment again using the Wow! embossing powder. Can you see how raised it is? I trimmed this down so I can adhere this to the center.

Most embossing folders come in 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" size. The one I used, American Crafts Amy Tangerine Love Spun embossing folder, is no exception. My card is horizontally oriented and the hearts design orientation is vertical. This is where I had to extend the embossing by repeatedly running the sandwich into the embossing machine. What I mean by this is I initially emboss one side which the folder covers, then move the folder towards the other side, making sure I match up the design with the grooves created by the embossing. I secured this with a non-tacky tape on the back so it wouldn't shift.

I did not only extended the embossing design but I also partially embossed the card front. I did not want any embossing on the part where the sentiment strip will be adhered to.

I die cut a neon green cardstock using the stitched scallop die from Mama Elephants Borderlines Trio Creative Cuts. I adhered this to the edge of the sentiment strip, then adhered this to the cardbase. To finish off the card, I adhered some Pretty Pink Posh Sequins.

Thanks for visiting my blog. Belated Happy Cardmaking Day to everyone!

Maria Giselle B.

I am sharing this creation to:





2 comments:

  1. Love these colors together, Clemente, and glad that you got to play along even though you had to work. Thanks for joining us at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun is this?! :) Love the bold pops of color against the white background!

    Thanks so much for playing along with my color challenge. ♥

    ReplyDelete