Friday, September 25, 2015

Vellum Muted Card


I prepared the watercolor paper with a powder tool I stamped the background stamp on watercolor paper using Versafine Onyx Black ink with the help of Fiskar stamp press. I applied black embossing powder, then heat embossed it. This background stamp was stamped in an angle so it is not necessary to ink all of the stamp.

I used Kuretake Gansai Tambi watercolors to color the squares. I want to achieve a washed, pastel look on the squares. To achieve this, I brush water onto the squares. Using a palette, I mixed white with a color, and added more water. I applied this to the squares. If I think the color is too bold, I dab a paper towel onto it. I allowed this to dry.

For the sentiment, I stamped the 'Thanks' sentiment onto white cardstock. I fuzzy cut this, leaving a little bit of white margin around the letter. To ground this, I used a strip of light yellow cardstock. I stamped the 'so much' sentiment onto this using Versafine Onyx Black ink. I applied clear embossing powder, then heat set it. I just found out that black embossing powder works best on large images like background stamps. When I applied black embossing powder to this sentiment, I have a lot of stray powder even if I prep the area with a powder tool. Compared to the Hip To Be Square background stamp in which the stray powder is very minimal.

I adhered the bottom part of the cut-out 'Thanks' to this yellow strip, to make it appear like it is floating. I applied white Ranger Enamel Accents to this to make it pop out. I set this aside to dry.


The background is busy with all the squares. I covered this with vellum to mute down the design. I die cut the top & bottom edges using a scallop border die. I sew the vellum to the watercolor paper. I sew the sides & bottom edge first so I can pour some small sequins into it. I sew the top edge to seal this.


For the sentiment strip, I applied adhesive to the center of the strip and to the back of the hanging letters. I sew the edges of the strip to the vellum panel. I trimmed the panel. This came out slightly larger than an A2 card. The card measures 5 5/8 x 4 1/4. I adhered sequins near and on the strip for added embellishment.


Thanks for viewing my blog.

Maria Giselle B.

Stamps: Paper Smooches Hip To Be Square, PS Chit Chat

I am submitting this creation to the following:


 

 





3 comments:

  1. So pretty! LOVE your background - and the vellum shaker panel is perfect! Thanks so much for playing along with Paper Smooches SPARKS Challenge!

    housesbuiltofcards@gmail.com
    www.housesbuiltofcards.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a striking card - love the graphic background design.
    Thanks for joining in at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.
    Hugs,
    Caryn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fantastic! I love the vellum shaker and your watercoloring. Thanks so much for joining us on the Runway! :)

    ReplyDelete